Wednesday 31 January 2018

A call to science and technology to work on standards for environmental data sharing

Which recent Geoscience related journal article has most influenced your work?

For me it was Laniak et al. (2013) "Integrated Environmental Modeling: A Vision and Roadmap for the Future". With a BSc in Computer Science I had worked in the IT industry before I started in academia. When I read Laniak et al. (2013) my Geography Master’s I knew that that was exactly how I would want to apply my computational background. Laniak et al. presented a vison for the future of integrated environmental modelling. They called to science and technology to work on standards for data sharing, and envisioned web-based platforms for transdisciplinary community interactions. I knew that science is not only about observations and theory. But it was then when I deeply understood how the capabilities of modern computers support research, make it reproducible and, thus, can accelerate research. The potential of linking people and knowledge from different disciplines in order to jointly understand natural processes and to make decisions together overwhelmed me. This landmark paper has since influenced me throughout my PhD and beyond.

Reference:

Laniak, Gerard F, Gabriel Olchin, Jonathan Goodall, Alexey Voinov, Mary Hill, Pierre Glynn, Gene Whelan, et al. 2013. “Integrated Environmental Modeling: A Vision and Roadmap for the Future.” Environmental Modelling & Software 39 (0):3–23. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2012.09.006

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.